In a recent global webinar ‘How to land your dream job’, Paula Quinton Jones, Director of Career Services, London, and Jean de Villeneuve, Senior Director of Corporate Relations, Asia, address the question on every business school student’s lips.
How do you define your dream job?
In order to have the most fufiling career possible, you must first define what ‘dream job’ means to you. According to Paula-Quinton Jones, Director of Career Services at Hult London, that means answering three questions:
- What is your end goal?
- What are you good at?
- What matters most to you?
Answering these questions not only puts you in good stead for a strong professional future, but also opens your mind to the career planning process.
The pursuit of happiness
Your dream career cannot only be narrowed down to the paycheck and your ability to do the job. When planning your career, ensure you make your happiness a central focus point too.[Tweet “Your dream career cannot only be narrowed down to the paycheck and your ability to do the job. “]
Assess your answers to the three questions above and then categorize these according to:
- The specificity of the role — what function exactly do you want to work in?
- How do you want this to impact your reputation, as well your organization?,
- The details— what are the typical activities associated with your dream job?
Another way to approach this is by asking: am I able to concisely describe my dream job to someone?
What is your market offering?
Honing your market offering can differ depending on the stage you are at in your education or career. Whatever your situation, strategizing will allow you to create a path to your career destination. Here is how you can begin:
- Refine your market offering—work out exactly what the market wants and what you can offer, then build up your skills to reflect this.
- Strengthen and perfect your personal brand—what is the message you want to convey? Appeal to prospective employers through concrete examples of industry-related experience.
- Exploit your channels to the job market—network endlessly; access job boards and connect with recruitment agencies; send out direct applications; and undertake internships.
Our December 15th application deadline is just around the corner. If you have any questions about your application,… https://t.co/s7uAABpCJ0Follow